Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Books On My Shelf

Am I having too many hobby? I know I'm always buying books and not reading them. Since when did my love of reading turns into love of buying books?

I always love reading and I still am. But now I'm more into reading online articles, blogs, forum, reviews, magazines, and sometimes newspapers. In this cyber era, many of us had lost touch with paperbacks. I do not want to let go of this, so I keep buying book, knowing/hoping that I will eventually find time to read.

During our last visit to MPH bookstores, while paying for another book for me, Kin Fai asked, how many books did I really finish reading in the pass 2 years. Erm.....one and that's during my bored-to-death 3 hospitalized days. What a satisfaction when I finished a good book and I did not had such feeling since.....I don't know when.....I think since my schooling days when I have no dates and plenty of time in the noon digging in Dean Koontz and Judith McNaught. It's a weird combination of reading preference but I need some historical romance when I had too much thrillers.

I had two Ikea shelves full of paperbacks and hardcover books. I excluded those recipe cookbooks, travel guides, dog behavior guidebooks, arts and crafts books, and some work related reference books, I came up with a To Read List.


To Read What's On My Shelf List:
  • Marley & Me by John Grogan : I'm half way through this, I'm confident that I can finish this.
  • The Harmony Silk Factory by Tash Aw : I'm proud of the Malaysian who got his name by writing this book. But unfortunately I'm giving up on this. Too many narration. Will be giving this to Kin Fai.
  • Bridget Jone's Diary by Helen Fielding : I searched high and low for this book and finally got it at Kinokuniya, KLCC but 3 years later, I'm still at chapter 5. Why? This is a good read! Witty British writing.
  • The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown : I bought the book way before the movie was filmed but...I still at chapter 3. Sigh
  • Angels and Demon by Dan Brown : Already gave the book to Kin Fai which he made into his loyal toilet companion. I don't think I'll get back the book. >_<
  • Harry Potter and The Order of Phoenix by J.K. Rowling : Stopped at Chapter 6. Why can't I even finish a children's book.
  • Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
  • Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling : Seems like I'm collecting the Potter series, not reading them.
  • If Tomorrow Comes by Sidney Sheldon
  • Are You Afraid Of The Dark? by Sidney Sheldon
  • Train Man by Nakano Hitori
  • Memoirs Of A Geisha by Arthur Golden : A gift from an ex who doesn't know the type of books that I like to read.
  • The Memory Keeper's Daugther by Kim Edwards
  • PS. I Love You by Cecelia Adhern : Will definately finish this before the movie comes out.
  • A Place Called Here by Cecelia Adhern
  • A Spot of Brother by Mark Haddon
  • Once Removed by Andrew Leci : Kin Fai's book and I will make this my loyal toilet companion. haha
  • The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter
  • The Complete Fairy Tales by Jacob and Wilheim Grimm
  • The Holiday Present by Johanna Lindsey
  • Home For Holidays by Johanna Lindsey

Ok, I'm not buying anymore books until I crossed out at least half of the list.

12 comments:

  1. do u believe it when i tell you I havn't read any of those harry potter books..jeeeesshhh
    ha..but i read 6 of the books from ur lists ;)
    reading can be addictive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah, u have so many novels. And you read them as toilet companion? Omg...you dun smell anything when you are doing "business"?

    You know, I finished reading The Da Vinci Code in just 2 weeks. The story was so absorbing that I can't stop reading to do other work. Anyway, the story in the book is much better than the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... that's hell lotsa books leh. lend me Harry Potter: The Half-blood Prince. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read 8 of the books you listed, and still holding on to 1 (Mark Haddon) since few months back (that's as long as my un-updated blog!). Don't have the rest - so I know where I can get from if I wanna read, right?! :-p

    Happy Reading~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pek Mun : Nola, I never treat my books as toilet companion. Just wana pay Kin Fai back for bring one of my Dan Brown into the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHHA...
    Thats a lot of books there.
    I can say I read 7 of those, but then lately, I am so slow in reading, I took more than a month to finish the last book of Harry Potter and have not start on any books since then.
    I guess MK, you are not the only one not reading....

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha .. i didnt even finish the one I bought. :P
    I guess been the most lazy one to read now ... why why why? Guess... I am just too lazy ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read some of the books there. marley and me is great. How far along are you? I like reading too especially when its cold at night :D

    Mr Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I got your link from swapbot. I totally know what you mean about not finishing books.. I have crazy long lists of my own but it seems like books for school just absorb all of your time! I am liking your blog & will add it to my bloglines! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mr. Anonymous

    Yep, Marley and Me is a hilarious book and I'm at Chap 19. I will definitely finish it before the weekend. Will read some since it's cold tonight. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Ms Moonlight

    Its a great book isnt it? Its has been raining the whole week. At least it may help break the drought :D

    Happy reading

    Mr Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Ms Moonlight

    Its a great book isnt it? Its has been raining the whole week. At least it may help break the drought :D

    Happy reading

    Mr Anonymous

    ReplyDelete